Luding Bridge was built in the 44th year (1705) of the Kangxi reign of the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911). It is an iron suspension bridge over Dadu River. Its net length is 100 meters. It is 28 meters wide and 14 meters high from the water surface. The whole bridge has 13 iron chains, each of them weighing 2.5 tons. Among them, nine parallel chains are tied to the two banks. The wooden boards are spread on the chains for passengers to walk on. The other four chains are suspended on the sides on the left and right, with two chains on either side to be the handrails. The stele with the bridge's name written by Emperor Kangxi is still hung at the one end of the bridge. On the east of the bridge, there stands the stele Royal Stele for Luding Bridge written by Emperor Kangxi.
On May 29 1935, the First Corps of the Chinese Red Army arrived here in the Long March. At that time, there was the blockage by two enemy battalions on the opposite bank of the river. Meanwhile, the main troop of the enemy were chasing after. The headquarters decided to organize a commando with 22 warriors to cross the river by force. The commando members bellied forward by scrambling the iron chains in the enemy's hail of bullets. They at last seized Luding Bridge, and annihilated the defending enemies. The whole corps then crossed the river safely and got rid of the chasing enemies. This is a heroic chapter in the history of the Chinese Revolution.